• FORUM
  • LOGIN
  • ADVERTISE

ham exam(a lot of questions about it)

Upcoming ASOC (Amateur Station Operator's Certificate/Ham Radio) examinations & related informations

ham exam(a lot of questions about it)

Postby devendra » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi everyone I am quite new to ham radio and really got aroused by ham radio,I would like to get a license but have a lot of questions,by the way I am an engineering student (First year)

1.I am planning to get either Grade 1 or Advanced grade licence but I don't the exact difference between them,someone please tell me the difference between them and don't copy-paste the stuff that is already there here on website,I want elaborated answer.

2.How is the exam going to be,I mean is it a descriptive exam or a multiple choice exam

3.The syllabus mentioned for Advanced grade seems to be quite high compared to Grade 1 exam,I would like to know how high level is the syllabus of Advanced grade,I mean is it very high level(Engineering fourth year level or First year level).

4.When should I submit my application(I am starting my preparation from today on,how long will it take to master the content of Advanced grade syllabus).

5.I heard that hams get to talk to astronauts on International Space Station,well I would like to ask if I can do it with a Grade 1 license or do I need an Advanced grade licence.

please answer all these questions,these are very important for me,I could not find answers to these questions on the internet.

Thank you in advance,please answer.
devendra

Re: ham exam(a lot of questions about it)

Postby vu3cns » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 am

1.I am planning to get either Grade 1 or Advanced grade licence but I don't the exact difference between them,someone please tell me the difference between them and don't copy-paste the stuff that is already there here on website,I want elaborated answer.

The difference are types of emmission, frequency, and power; and now only two categories of licence, see
Guidelines for Amateur in the light of Amendment rules, 2009

2.How is the exam going to be,I mean is it a descriptive exam or a multiple choice exam

Descriptive

3.The syllabus mentioned for Advanced grade seems to be quite high compared to Grade 1 exam,I would like to know how high level is the syllabus of Advanced grade,I mean is it very high level(Engineering fourth year level or First year level).

See answer to Q1

4.When should I submit my application(I am starting my preparation from today on,how long will it take to master the content of Advanced grade syllabus).

Send it to the nearest monitoring station.

5.I heard that hams get to talk to astronauts on International Space Station,well I would like to ask if I can do it with a Grade 1 license or do I need an Advanced grade licence.

Now General grade licence is required, see answer to Q1.
vu3cns

Postby devendra » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you very much,that was really helpful and thank you for answering all the questions.
devendra

Postby demetal » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 pm

There is no grade1 exam... according to new amendment act of wpc... There are only two category restricted grade and advanced grade... both consist of multiple choice questions only... not descriptive type... Maximum power and emission differentiates them... no Morse code required for restricted grade... When to apply for exam depends on your choice and also the location you live...
1873*
demetal

Postby xxkrishxx » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:44 pm

whether mechanical engineering degree is eligible to get exemption from section-A of the exam?

Thank you.
xxkrishxx

Return to ASOC examinations