• FORUM
  • LOGIN
  • ADVERTISE

PIC Microcontrollers!

Discussion group on micro controllers, programming, and related..

PIC Microcontrollers!

Postby techbhatia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:38 am

Hi All,

First of all, I would like to apologize in case I am repeating the questions asked in some other posts, as I tried my best to find the answers but could not. In fact, I could not get the answers to these questions anywhere on the net. I wanted to start experimenting with PIC's, but stumbled upon a few questions which are:

1) Can the code used for 16f628 be used with 16f72 as I could not get 16f628 here locally and only 16f72 was available. I understand that the pin connections are different for both of them, so can I change the pin connections as required and use 16f72 in place of 16f628 in any projects available on the net?
2) I wanted to make a Serial Programmer for programming a PIC, however after studying on the internet for a week, all I could understand is that some PC's do not provide enough voltage on the serial port. So, to be safe, I wanted to provide external power supply to the programmer, but could not find a circuit of a programmer with external power supply. In fact, on one of the websites, it was even mentioned "Do not connect the external power supply's GND to the com port's GND".

3) Would the JDM programmer, as it's popularly called, with an external power supply, be able to program a 16f72 PIC?

4) What are the best softwares, for Windows and Ubuntu, to program PIC's like 16f72 and 16f628?

Hoping to hear from the experts of the trade soon as I am too exited and looking forward to make my first PIC project.....

Regards,
techbhatia
techbhatia

Re: PIC Microcontrollers!

Postby vu3cns » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 am

1) Can the code used for 16f628 be used with 16f72 as I could not get 16f628 here locally and only 16f72 was available. I understand that the pin connections are different for both of them, so can I change the pin connections as required and use 16f72 in place of 16f628 in any projects available on the net?

Answer is no, you need to modify the code to use with 16F72, because the modules (hardwares) available in 628 and 72 are different, and hence porting also difficult or not possible depending on the application.

2) "Do not connect the external power supply's GND to the com port's GND".

Because they are at different potential
4) What are the best softwares, for Windows and Ubuntu, to program PIC's like 16f72 and 16f628?

The best is Pickit 3 (or pickit2) which is a low cost solution, or if you like to homebrew, try the multipic programmer (similar to JDM) in this site, or any Pickit 2 clone circuit.
vu3cns

Postby techbhatia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks a lot for all the information.
techbhatia

Postby techbhatia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 am

Hi,

After reading the reply carefully once I came back from work, found a couple of questions more.

1) I wanted to make a Serial Programmer for programming a PIC, however after studying on the internet for a week, all I could understand is that some PC's do not provide enough voltage on the serial port. So, to be safe, I wanted to provide external power supply to the programmer, but could not find a circuit of a programmer with external power supply. - So , could anybody post a simple circuit diagram for a Serial Programmer for programming a PIC with an option of providing external power supply to the programmer?

2) Would the JDM programmer, as it's popularly called, with an external power supply, be able to program a 16f72 PIC? Or, it would be really nice if I can get a list of all the PIC's this programmer can program.

3) I did not ask the complete question, My mistake. I meant to ask - Can a code written in C language for 16f628 be used with 16f72 as I could not get 16f628 here locally and only 16f72 was available. I understand that the pin connections are different for both of them, so can I change the pin connections as required and use 16f72 in place of 16f628 in any projects available on the net?

Pickit 2 and 3 are the actual hardware, I wanted help to understand which best softwares are available free on Windows and Ubuntu to program PIC's like 16f72 and 16f628?

5) What all settings need to be done specific to a PIC, like 16F628 or 16F72 in the software while programming it?

6) I've seen some circuits as well as code for making a digital clock using PIC 16F628 but could not find same project using PIC 16F72. Can somebody point me into the right direction or give me a link to the project somewhere on the internet?

Thanks in advance......
techbhatia
techbhatia

Postby vu3cns » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 pm

3) I did not ask the complete question, My mistake. I meant to ask - Can a code written in C language for 16f628 be used with 16f72 as I could not get 16f628 here locally and only 16f72 was available. I understand that the pin connections are different for both of them, so can I change the pin connections as required and use 16f72 in place of 16f628 in any projects available on the net?

As I said, it depends on the application. Many hardware modules available in 628 are not available in 72 or vice versa, then how it possible? But in some cases the code may not use these modules, then it possible.
Pickit 2 and 3 are the actual hardware, I wanted help to understand which best softwares are available free on Windows and Ubuntu to program PIC's like 16f72 and 16f628?

Try ICProg
5) What all settings need to be done specific to a PIC, like 16F628 or 16F72 in the software while programming it?

Please explain
vu3cns

Return to Micro controllers