• FORUM
  • LOGIN
  • ADVERTISE

Antenna cables and connectors for HF AM DX

Ask 1000's of hams your question...

Antenna cables and connectors for HF AM DX

Postby ashdasok » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this field and planning to homebrew a good RX for HF band. Please guide me the types for antenna cables and connectors that are easily available in india. I know that some form of coaxial cable and connectors are required but there are so many types of coaxial connectors that I am getting confused. Being a GSM engg i have used BNC, SMZ, SMA, SMB, DIN, N-Type connectors in field. But all of these are used above 850 MHz. What cable and connector should I use for the HF band that should be easily available in India also.

Thanks
ashdasok

Re: Antenna cables and connectors for HF AM DX

Postby PE9PE » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:14 pm

ashdasok wrote:Hi all,

I am new to this field and planning to homebrew a good RX for HF band. Please guide me the types for antenna cables and connectors that are easily available in india. I know that some form of coaxial cable and connectors are required but there are so many types of coaxial connectors that I am getting confused. Being a GSM engg i have used BNC, SMZ, SMA, SMB, DIN, N-Type connectors in field. But all of these are used above 850 MHz. What cable and connector should I use for the HF band that should be easily available in India also.

Thanks

Hi,

Any of these types of connectors will do, but most are wide overspec'd for Mediumwave and Shortwave.
BNC connectors are the easiest for you to use and widely available.
NOTICE:
There are 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm BNC connectors and they don't fit each other.
You need for HF and AM the 50 Ohm version.

Enjoy building the receiver and get nice DX :D

Rob
PE9PE
The Netherlands
PE9PE

Return to Help desk