• FORUM
  • LOGIN
  • ADVERTISE

How to tune for FM stations in the LED TVs

Ask 1000's of hams your question...

How to tune for FM stations in the LED TVs

Postby gnanasenthil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Hello,
I am begineer. But interested in ham radio(yet to be licensed). To start with, I wanted to listen to the local FM stations on my LED TV.

I bought a 75 ohm coaxial cable (5 meter in length) and connected one end, to the cable/Antenna input on the LED TV. On the other end I just exposed the insulation for the copper core wire and the surrounding steel mesh wire and bent it in the form of a 'T'. The horizontal portions of the 'T' was hardly about an inch on each side. This 'T' portion of the exposed wire was left outside the house. But when i started auto tuning my TV, NO radio channels were tuned..I also checked for voltage fluctuations using a multimeter where the cable was plugged to the TV. The multimeter even showed flutuating voltages of around 1 - 2 microvolt.
But such a arrangement worked for a audio system with an inbuilt radio tuner. Why is this not working in LED television sets.

Kindly help.
gnanasenthil

Re: How to tune for FM stations in the LED TVs

Postby vu3cns » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:44 am

gnanasenthil wrote:Hello,
But when i started auto tuning my TV, NO radio channels were tuned.

Instead of auto tuning, try to enter the correct frequency of your local FM station.

gnanasenthil wrote:I also checked for voltage fluctuations using a multimeter where the cable was plugged to the TV. The multimeter even showed flutuating voltages of around 1 - 2 microvolt.

What is your reason for assuming these voltages are by radio signals? Generally multimeters are designed for measuring AC voltages of 50/60Hz.

Finally use an antenna designed for FM, like a simple dipole.
vu3cns

Postby gnanasenthil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for the reply.

Instead of auto tuning, try to enter the correct frequency of your local FM station.

There is only manual tuning option. But there is no way of entering the Frequency of the station.

What is your reason for assuming these voltages are by radio signals? Generally multimeters are designed for measuring AC voltages of 50/60Hz.

It was a mere guess. Also I was using measuring voltages with DC option. But I think I am completely wrong in doing so. Since yesterday I had removed the antenna input from the TV and just put a tester in cable/Antenna port on the TV and the tester lighted up. So the voltage fluctuations that I saw the other day may not be from the antenna itself.

Also I spoke with LG customer care yesterday. They said that my TV does not have a Radio. Instead it will be able to play FM stations that are provided by dish TV providers. This I cannot completely understand. Because on the other day when I was trying to tune into FM stations with my home made aeriel, I had tuned into DD National TV (with some noise). This could not have happened without a tuner inside. My understanding is that both TV channels and Radio channels (FM channels) are both frequency modulated. If that is the case why is my TV not picking up radio stations?
gnanasenthil

Postby vu3cns » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:12 pm

gnanasenthil wrote:This could not have happened without a tuner inside. My understanding is that both TV channels and Radio channels (FM channels) are both frequency modulated. If that is the case why is my TV not picking up radio stations?

The answer is simple, both have different frequencies or frequency bands. Do you ever notice that your normal FM radio never tuned/received TV channels? A TV tuner doesn't meant for receiving the whole frequency spectra, it only receives TV channel frequencies.
vu3cns

Return to Help desk