• FORUM
  • LOGIN
  • ADVERTISE

Building a braod band SW Receiver

Ask 1000's of hams your question...

Building a braod band SW Receiver

Postby shankar bhandarkar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Dear Sir
The current social atmosphere has killed the charms of listening short wave broadcast, these receivers are also hard to find be it NEW or Used,I am finding it very difficult to even buy a Readymade good antenna for listening to MW ( AM) broadcast in Kalyan,
My enquiry is that is there some one who can provide me witha ready made antenna or help me to build one, I stay on the 7 th floor.
Can any one build a SW broad band Receiver.......?
I hope to hear on this please.
regards
S Bhandarkar
shankar bhandarkar

Postby mvs sarma » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Welcome to Hamradio !!

For Short wave, you can make a simple 2 turn loop antenna using thick insulated wire like single strand copper wire used for electrical wiring. the coil diameter could be around 14inches and 2 turns. Hang it in the balcony, bring a sort of coaxial or twin wire feeder connect to radio. you receive many stations that you were not getting.

If you are interested in MW, make again a loop antenna of 1m*1m square with 10 turns, and tune it with a PVC gang capacitor, you would get a good selectivity and long distance coverage.

Even today good Receivers are available. Example , though costly is SONY ICF-SW11. i bought one paying 2350/- way back four years. working nicely.

if you are intending making one and can make at home, perhaps software defined radio, as described in Elektor UK magazine in May2007 is good.
But it is to be used in conjunction with a PC as it is software defined.
Please read the article, free downloadable from
http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2007/m ... 1527.lynkx .
it is really good general coverage, continuous tuning Rx.
if you are interested, i can support with a good pcb or as a kit.
all the best
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Postby shankar bhandarkar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:43 pm

To
MVS Sarma

Thanks for your reply, some time passion is more stronger than sense, I have very powerful amplifier and a AM & FM Tuner coupled to Boston Acoustics speakers,each time i listen some thing I really enjoy it because too much money has been spent on this,There is a Ham operator staying in my opposite building but he did not reply to my message nor he take my call,
In all respect you have been a great help, The IDEA to build a SW receiver was mainly to attach it to my Amp,and have the best enjoyment possible,
the Radio listening is slowly vanishing and I am depressed here in Mumbai when I could not find a good ferrite rod antenna for external use.
I stay on the7thy floor and the roof is above my flat, I will not rest till my radio performs well
Sir Thanks again shall message when I get the job done.
regards
Bhandarkar
shankar bhandarkar

Postby vu3wjm » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Dear Mr Bhandarkar,

I am very much impressed by your enthusiasm for radio as well as your music system there, indeed it has been a passion for many of us.

To begin with I would suggest you start with some second hand cheaply available Sony or another make Tuner section from component type music system. The ones with SW coverage were good as well as they had provision for external antennas.
You may also purchase some car radio tuners they too have advantage of external antenna connection as well as digital display.\ along with line out to connect to external amplifier.

Now for the antenna part recently I made Mini whip an active antenna and it gives outstanding performance overr whole of HF range with very low noise pickup.

http://yu1lm.qrpradio.com/pa0rdt%20whip.pdf

Do not be fooled by its size there is lot of onfo and review of this device on the net.

Hope this will be of help Best Regards

Rahul VU3WJM
vu3wjm

Postby mvs sarma » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 pm

hi Rahul jee,
After a VERY long time we see you on the site and it is a pleasant surprise, cum satisfaction. Hope you are all fine. wish you a Happy 2012 and onwards
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Postby emen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Sarmaji,

I am interested in SDR Rx. Could you help me to get one pcb / kit for the same ? Please let me know.

Thanks.
emen
emen

Postby mvs sarma » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:41 pm

emen wrote:Sarmaji,

I am interested in SDR Rx. Could you help me to get one pcb / kit for the same ? Please let me know.

Thanks.
emen

hi emen,
i had sent a pm to you, please see and respond tome on my gmail address.

copy of message "please try to register and download for free the article on sdr from

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2007/m ... 1527.lynkx
when you register
you are likely to get 10 credit points free .
if so please download also
http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2009/d ... 2867.lynkx
read and then tell me whether you want it.
especially you may have to qualify sound card of your PC . ONCE IT PASSES YOU CAN USE SDR.
PLEASE DO THE ABOVE OBSERVATIONS AND MAIL ME BACK AT "
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Thanks

Postby shankar bhandarkar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:29 am

Dear Rahulji
Thanks for your reply,As a small boy used to see my father listening the BBC News, Voice of America etc.. so even I am having the same habits,
I spent about Rs.5000/- still could not get the desired result for the AM antenna, The PVC Gang Capacitor was difficult to find, there is a HAM operator opposite to my house but does not take my phone,
Now I am still trying all tricks to get the best from my set, The Eton Satellite 750 -800 is what I am aiming to buy,but its expensive and rare to find,
Radio - Music is my life
its good to see that someone does reply to situation like mine
best regards
Bhandarkar
shankar bhandarkar

Postby mvs sarma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Mr Bhandarkar,
I understand that it was addressed to Rahul jee.

However, i can send you one PVC gang capacitor. not an issue.

But your reply is not consistent. Perhaps we cant make that person to answer you.
Please ask, straight, what exactly you want now, instead of lamenting on what some one did not do.

All the best.
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Thanks for the Gang Capacitor

Postby shankar bhandarkar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Dear Sir
I shall give you my Mob: number 9920755910, I am in Mumbai, tell me who in Mumbai can help me
regards
Bhandarkar
Kalyan
shankar bhandarkar

Re: Thanks for the Gang Capacitor

Postby mvs sarma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 pm

shankar bhandarkar wrote:Dear Sir
I shall give you my Mob: number 9920755910, I am in Mumbai, tell me who in Mumbai can help me
regards
Bhandarkar
Kalyan

perhaps same issue again
i dont knowany one at Mumbai who could help you get a pvc gang capacitor..
so i am helpless
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Thanks

Postby shankar bhandarkar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Thank you, for responding,
The Satellite 800 will solve all issue
regards
bhandarkar
shankar bhandarkar

Re: Building a braod band SW Receiver

Postby ashdasok » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 am

Dear Mr Sarma,

I am interested in the SDR receiver as you introduced in the thread. But I could not open the link. May be it is broken. On clicking the link I am taken to a search result page of ELEKTOR and not the page containing the article. Can you please re post a working link or send me the article in some readible format (word, pdf etc). I have just started with the radio building and I am interested in both analog and digital radios.

Thank You
Ashok Das
ashdasok

Re: Building a braod band SW Receiver

Postby mvs sarma » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:07 pm

ashdasok wrote:Dear Mr Sarma,

I am interested in the SDR receiver as you introduced in the thread. But I could not open the link. May be it is broken. On clicking the link I am taken to a search result page of ELEKTOR and not the page containing the article. Can you please re post a working link or send me the article in some readible format (word, pdf etc). I have just started with the radio building and I am interested in both analog and digital radios.

Thank You
Ashok Das

please PM me your email address and i shall send the article copy of may 2007 and dec2009
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Return to Help desk