• FORUM
  • LOGIN
  • ADVERTISE

Help Me purchase a Good Shortwave Radio [<100$]- From Ind

Talk about pretty much anything here, although check the categories below..

Help Me purchase a Good Shortwave Radio [<100$]- From Ind

Postby solitudine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:15 am

Hello everyone!

This is my first post in this amazing forum and I joined recently, though I had been following this website for quite sometime, but mostly reading a few things here and there.

I would really like to ask for some help from you guys. I want to purchase a nice portable Shortwave receiver under 100$ to listen to the [3-30] MHz. frequency band. Hence, I want everyone of you to suggest me the best available options in this regard at present with the help of your experience, within the price range of 50$-100$ but not more and also some links which could let me see the specifications for me to choose the right receiver for myself. I am open to both Indian and foreign models.

Secondly, I am located in India. And after a few intense search I came to know that there is not even a decent Short Wave Receiver that is sold here locally. I don't know if I am really correct or not, I would be happy if someone prove me wrong. So, can anyone of you please guide me to a reliable website/dealer to make an Online purchase, either within India or outside ? I have no idea of an online purchase from outside of my country, so any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thirdly, is importing a foreign receiver through E-bay allowed ? If yes, will I have to pay any extra fees beside price and shipping charge? And how much ?

Thanking you all in advance, and hoping to hear back from someone of you helpful Shortwave Lovers
Yours new friend
Paul :roll:
solitudine

short wave radio

Postby vu2pza » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 pm

If you can increase your budget to Rs 11500,sony ICF SW 7600GR is available on ebay india.It is costly ,but a good shortwave radio,in which you can listen to ham bands as well.
http://cgi.ebay.in/SONY-ICF-SW7600GR-WO ... 3efe0316ad

this link will obviosly expire after listing is over.or simply search sony icf 7600 gr in search option on ebay.in
vu2pza

Thanks

Postby solitudine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi!
Thanks a lot for the information. I did checked that set.

By the way, can you tell me, whether buying from Ebay, and importing it in India from outside the country might lead to any further duties except shipping and normal price of the receiver ?

if yes, how much ?
solitudine

ebay

Postby vu2pza » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

if you are buying from ebay india then you need not to pay any duty,as you are not the importer,seller has imported the set and then made available for sale.he has paid the duties,which he will add to the cost.If you are buying from outside india.as soon as your parcel enter india.it will be charged custom duty.Now ebay has other mode of purchase-GLOBAL EASY BUY,through which you can buy from USA,paying in indian rupees,and total cost will be inclusive of all the things including duties and courier charges.But Sony icf 7600 gr ia not available through GLOBAL easy buy mode.So better buy from ebay india.If budget and other things suits you.
vu2pza

Can it be known, how much the Import duty be charged ?

Postby solitudine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for the valuable information.

Well, what I want to know is, if I import a receiver from outside India, and pay it through Paypal at the Ebay international site, then how and at what stage am I going to pay the import duty, since the seller is already getting paid by me along with the shipping charge before shipping the material from their country.

Also, is there any way of determining the import duty that I have to pay if I import a shortwave receiver from some International seller ? :roll:
solitudine

custom duty

Postby vu2pza » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:28 pm

If you buy from outside india.when your parcel arrive in india.It can be stopped at Airport or seaport ,by the custom officials of india.for want of requisite duty.You have to get it cleared at the airport or seaport(I donot know the right procedure for that,sorry.I may be wrong).otherwise the shipment can be confiscated.you better see custom office website regarding import of material.I must say i never have to get the things from outside india.so not sure about the procedure.
vu2pza

Thank you very much

Postby solitudine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi!
Thanks again for that information.

I am asking so many questions is only because I haven't done such a transaction before, neither do anyone who did the same. I wonder if that is any good option, specially for a shortwave Radio.

Actually you know, there are not too many Shortwave receivers in India to choose from. I was thinking of having a Grundig G5 or a Kaito/Degen 1103 which is much cheaper than that Sony one that you mentioned above, and perhaps more feature packed as well.

This is one of those product, which I can comfortably say, may result in a better buy any day if you do it from some global sellers, because there is simply nothing in that range available in this country. I wonder, if those products which I am looking for are available in India sold by an Indian seller or not.

:roll:
solitudine

radio

Postby vu2pza » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm

your radio is available on ebay singapore site.
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/DEGEN-DE1103-PLL ... 4ddc1#shId

but sorry i cannot guide you about custom etc.you better email the seller about that or contact someone in custom department.
vu2pza

Re: radio

Postby mvs sarma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:13 pm

vu2pza wrote:your radio is available on ebay singapore site.

but sorry i cannot guide you about custom etc.you better email the seller about that or contact someone in custom department.

Leave alone other issues, the PAYPAL is not permitted by the Govt, and I am not sure whether the bans is lifted yet.

secondly, whether the item comes to your hands honorably?
i doubt. I had once tried for few components from Sweden and the cover never reached me.
I still suggest to go for a Dual conversion receiver, whether analog or digital.
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Re: radio

Postby solitudine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 pm

mvs sarma wrote:
vu2pza wrote:your radio is available on ebay singapore site.

Leave alone other issues, the PAYPAL is not permitted by the Govt, and I am not sure whether the bans is lifted yet.

secondly, whether the item comes to your hands honorably?
i doubt. I had once tried for few components from Sweden and the cover never reached me.
I still suggest to go for a Dual conversion receiver, whether analog or digital.

For your information, the Paypal withdrawal problem has recently been solved, and Paypal is maintaining all the RBI rules, due to which withdrawal in Indian banks was temporarily suspended for 2 months.

The people at E-bay said it will be send through Courier service like FedEx etc. Do I still have to worry whether their condition would be good or not, while I receive them here ?

Thirdly, please can you be more specific in your suggestion of a Dual conversion digital receiver ? Did you mean the Sony set shown above, or is something else ?

Thanks for your time. :roll:
solitudine

Postby mvs sarma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:32 pm

there are issues with DE1103
please see at yahoo.com 1103 pages. lots of people are using and they fail many a time
there are other brands perhaps as you told, Sony ICF-sw7600GR is one. Grundig can also be tried.
Sony at Rs11500 apears too costly, at least in my view. Tukson is another brand i head of good reputation as discussed on www.drmrx.org/forum

most of us, purchase and later we use for a month, then it would be catching dust, as mostly people GET good FM on their mobiles.

Perhaps advising to throw out a $100, is not that easy. LoL
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Can I get Grundig in India ?

Postby solitudine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 pm

mvs sarma wrote:there are issues with DE1103
please see at yahoo.com 1103 pages. lots of people are using and they fail many a time
there are other brands perhaps as you told, Sony ICF-sw7600GR is one. Grundig can also be tried.
Sony at Rs11500 apears too costly, at least in my view. Tukson is another brand i head of good reputation as discussed on www.drmrx.org/forum

most of us, purchase and later we use for a month, then it would be catching dust, as mostly people GET good FM on their mobiles.

Perhaps advising to throw out a $100, is not that easy. LoL

You are very right with your assessment.
Sony is really a bit too costly, specially considering the fact that SWL is on a decline owing to the Internet these days. I have had enough of Mobile Internet & normal Radio, and I want to purchase SW Radio for a completely different reason.

So, can we buy Grundig/Tecsun or Sangean in India ? Or, you are also advising to purchase through International E-bay? I am afraid, because, I am hearing that importing anything from the outside of the country without the proper custom procedures might lead to confiscation. :roll:

I wonder, how can I confirm the same.
solitudine

Postby mvs sarma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Sangean , ATS909 is said to be good
One bringing oa radio used
without packing etc as personally used (say a month old )item, they permit
but with all packing and all as if new, they might tax
but now a days the duty rates are low enough
Regards
Sarma
mvs sarma

Postby bobbyks2000 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 pm

There are many people who had their items confisticated because of the lack of customs duty and proper documents.

You will never recieve the item and ultimately you will feel the seller cheated you !!!

However, the fact remains that the item would either be confisticated by the customs or stolen by somebody in the mail chain.

There is a costlier option like you mentioned using DHL, Fedex,etc.This is a reliable service.However, you should clearly mention all the documents including import export code (IEC) clearly on the box.

Customs would check the IEC and may put duty ranging from 10 to 50% of the price depending on the item and clear the item.

All this adds considerably to the cost of the product.

So the best option is to ask some friend of yours coming from abroad to hand carry it.

Or

Find some local importer who can do the job for you.

Forget buying it from Ebay US or elsewhere directly.Its too risky. If you still wanna take the risk, Please go ahead and All the best !!!
------------------------------
Regards,

Bobby
bobbyks2000

Postby solitudine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks a lot Bobby for your advice.
They were taken seriously.
I really needed to hear something in deep to decide whether buying from Ebay international sites could be a good option or not.
solitudine

Next

Return to General Amateur Discussion